Legal Information

1) Trade in France


Our client would like to trade in France under his UK Company, which deals with imports and exports. Please could you give us some guidance as to whether he would need to register his company in France, or would he have to create a new company


It would really depend on what you client‘s activity is, what he is planning to do and how much he can invest in France:


There is no obligation to create a new company ; if the activity is only starting you can operate directly, but you will have to be registered as an employer if you  have even only one employee; if the activity is big enough and you have an office, you can set up a branch , which will be registered with the French companies ‘house as such  ;if the client is planning to really have a big turnover, offices and several employees, then you can set up a subsidiary which will be a new company.


2) Importing Food and Drink


What are the import regulations__/span__span_style_.css"mso-ansi-language: EN-GB;" lang="EN-GB">

Import regulations

As the European Union (EU) is a Customs Union, you can buy most goods from other member countries without restrictions - although VAT and excise duty can still apply. See our guide on acquiring goods within the EU.

If importing from outside the EU, you may have to comply with import licensing requirements and common customs tariffs applicable across the EU. See our guide on importing your goods from outside the EU.

Many products in the food and drink sector, imported from outside the EU, require a Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) licence.css. See our guide on agriculture, horticulture and fisheries.

The import of_food_and_drink_from_third_countries__outside_the_EU.css) is highly regulated to ensure that health rules in place within the EU are met by imports. Areas include:

  • live animals and animal products
  • plants
  • fruit and vegetables
  • organic produce

Other controls apply to the import of food and drink. See the page in this guide on import regulations for health and consumer protection.

Imported consignments transported in wooden packaging may also need a phytosanitary certificate.

As well as the specific requirements that apply to some products, all food imported into the UK must be safe to eat and conform to food-law requirements. Find information about food industries on the Food Standards Agency website - Opens in a new window or contact your Local Authority Environmental Health Department.

You can also find out how to comply with all the regulations and licence.css.

Customs import licence.csss

Import restrictions can be product-specific or trade-specific. Goods subject to product-specific standards need to be supported by applicable certificates, product licence.csss and documentation.

Quantitative restrictions or limitations and anti-dumping duties may also apply. See our guide on anti-dumping and countervailing duties.

For help identifying whether you require an import licence.css; see our guide: do you need an export or import licence.css?

Use the Tariff to classify goods and check which licence.csss, duties and measures apply. See our guide for an introduction to the Tariff.

Trading some goods may be prohibited without a specific licence.css from the competent authority, eg the Rural Payments Agency and Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. It's important to know of any licensing required for goods you're importing - it's your responsibility to comply with all licensing regulations.

Add link to:www.facebook